1st Beverley (St. Nicholas) Scouts

News

Return to list

Carry On Camping

05/08/2003

Gilwell Park, the first campsite given to the Scout Association almost 85 years ago, has a long connection with the 1st Beverley Troop which itself dates back to 1910. One of the leaders at this year's Summer Camp first camped at Gilwell Park in 1951, and this campsite still remains popular today with visits by the troop every 3 or 4 years.

During the summer of 1969 at Gilwell Park tragedy struck the Beverley & Hornsea District when the Assistant District Commissioner, Alan Jones and Tommy King, a venture scout were killed whilst climbing at Kanderstag, Switzerland.

A memorial bench was placed in the open air chapel at Gilwell Park. The bench was located on 29th July 2003, the anniversary of the tragedy and a group of 5 (See Photo in Gallery) cleaned off over 30 years of accumulated dirt, and with a dose of teak oil it is hoped that the bench will do many more years service.

During the week, Scouts visited several London museums and attractions including, The London Eye and Madame Tussauds, in addition to more traditional activities such as hiking, climbing, crate stacking, cart racing, and of course cooking on an open fire.

By Rodney Barton